Rail activity at Gates Rubber in Galesburg

Today lucked out on my way home from getting my husband milk I crossed
the Peoria sub and seen lights down the tracks. I go investigate and get onto
Highway ten and see from the distance activity at Gates Rubber. I've lived in
Galesburg like four months now and this is the first rail activity I have seen.
There has been cars there on their spur but never seen any locomotives. I am
guessing they dropped off some cars as when they pulled out onto the Peoria
sub main there were no cars that are typically sitting at Gates. I filmed and also
took some photographs while there. They left down the tracks  and i catch all of 
this. I  zip on home right next door literally and  give my husband his milk and 
zip on out the door to go beat the train to the Wye.  I was surprised when it came 
to the Wye it was only the locomotive. I guess the cars got dropped off at a spur 
track to this junk yard or scrap yard. I'm not familiar with the place but i do know
there is a spur to it from the main.

Someone told me a few of the cars will be scrapped so that would explain why they
are there. I was also told BNSF 2377 is an GP38-2 and an ex-TP&W.  Before i 
filmed the Gates action BNSF coal empties passed by heading to the yard. I  filmed
it but haven't uploaded yet and in no hurry at the moment. This is worthy of a blog
post I think since it's the first time I have ever seen any rail activity at Gates Rubber
ever.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

BNSF local chase (Peoria -Galesburg)