Old rail served buildings of Canton, Illinois.

I have discovered and taken pictures of buildings along Railroad street in Canton, Illinois recently.  I lived in this area as a child and teenager where I paid little mind to certain details like buried rair & ties as well as rail doors for loading on two of the buildings. I do not have the history or know much about any of them but one day I hope too.

As a child I often played or walked by these areas. I often ran down to the alley what we called Railroad street to watch TP&W roll on by.  I remember the signal at the diamond of the TP&W and BN line was always green atleast everytime I seen it so other words an eastbound TP&W was in the future unless it always stayed it. By that time BN no longer used their line through town. I remember Second Avenue used to be brick. I once seen a 1978 picture that showed two tracks crossing Second but by 1990 only the main line crossed Second Avenue. The street was paved by the early 90s at the latest.

A friend and I as children played on some of these old properties and as a teenager would walk the tracks of both active and the inactive BN tracks. So I remember these buildings however had never put a tjought on their history or paid attention to buried tracks or ties.

This red brick building below is off South First Avenue and Railroad street. I never noticed til recently some rail that ran along this remains but buried. Did this building get rail service that I do not know. I do know three others in the area did and a spur ran from the TP&W main around where the Gas station on Main is and ran along these buildings coming back onto the main further down the line by the signal & diamond.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

Buckheart mine of Dunfermline