Galesburg...always been my go to town.

Galesburg is a pretty well known Railroad hub for the BNSF but at one time
it was a happening town for both Burlington Northern and ATSF prior to the
merger around 1995. Even back in the 1990's I knew how active train wise this
town was.  I had had encounters with Galesburg way before picking up the 
hobby railfanning full time. I have always had an interest in trains ever since
I was a kid.  Don't ask how it started I have no memory of when it started but
Dad said it was around two. We moved down by the TP&W tracks in Canton 
about 1988 which increased interest. My mom used to take me on rides as a kid
and when I seen a train I'd have her wait on it and Galesburg is no exception.

Mom used to take me to Galesburg quite a bit in the 1990's when I was a kid and
teenager and we'd wait on trains on purpose so i could watch trains. I never thought
of filming or photographing at the time. My first railroad picture I didn't take until
2002 then started  picking up the hobby in 2008-2009.  I wish I did though knowing
now the history of the railroads. It would have been cool to catch something prior to 
the merger with each individual railroad. The May family would also hold annual
family reunions up here for quite a few years in the late 1990's to early 2000's.  We'd
get stuck on trains from time to time. All of this prior to the overpasses of main street
being built and you actually crossed the tracks on that road. It's hard to believe now but
at one time you had to stop for trains on Main street in several sections.

I am well familiar with Galesburg even prior to getting into the hobby full time. If there
was ever a town even before i'd recommend trains it would be this town. Dad was the one 
who told me there was a yard and railroad museum up here well before I ever paid either
a visit. My folks are what got me into liking this town I guess and introducing me to the city
of trains.

Some old photo's 2009:  ( quality isnt great and i was noobish...hell still noobish but not as bad):









2014: (Pictures 2014).  Also throwing in older videos quality sucks sorry. I covered up 
noobish talking with music too.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

BNSF local chase (Peoria -Galesburg)