The rare Derecho

 Today Knox County was placed under a Severe Thunderstorm Watch like much of the state. In the mid afternoon warnings were issued for many counties including Knox and Fulton. I decide like many warnings this year to go in an open area to film and choose Highway 10 outside of Galesburg and Knoxville to travel. It wasnt long til I come acrossed the derecho a wall of high winds that blew dust everywhere and dropped some heavy rain. Oddly though there wasnt much thunder or lightning and radar for the area didnt look like this would be a hail maker.

I dont recall ever encountering in person something like this. I film it but at first thought I came acrossed a tornado in progress but there didnt appear to be a funnel or strong rotation in the clouds that I could see. I did feel the winds hitting my car and it got a little hairy. I was more concerned it was going to direct hit the area I live but thankfully all that happened was tree limbs broke.

Towards the railyard a field had a little bit of flattened soybeans off Highway 10 but didnt look like a huge loss mainly the outer edge. Around Galesburg tree limbs were down and at Knoxville there was a power outage.  Basically the area was lucky that there want huge damages or any deaths atleast to my knowledge.

The storm pictures and video:





Damage:







The skies afterward:









I dont even remember when the last time I heard a Derecho mentioned. I think in the 1990s or early 2000s I remember the term used on a weather broadcast. I have never seen one in person nor have I seen a tornado on the ground in person. The important thing is no deaths to my knowledge and no wide spread major damage. To the ones without power I feel for you as it does suck but it could be far much worse. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

Buckheart mine of Dunfermline