June 8, 2017 a decent day

Yesterday we had to go to a doctor's appointment over in Peoria and my brother n law let me railfan afterwards for a bit. I was happy with the results as was he as he got to test out the old camera of mine I gave him.  I told him he'll get used to it's little quirks in time as well as how to switch back and forth between snapping pictures and filming.  Anyways he takes pictures of some trains himself and said he enjoyed it and he looks forward to taking pictures of cars too since that's his thing if he sees any older cars that  spark his interest.  The morning started when I heard KJRY from my apartment so I head to the tracks to catch it.  I film it between First Avenue and Second in Canton which is my old stomping grounds I used to run too when I was a kid or rode my bike down to watch trains since we lived on First moving there about 1988. This line used to be very active by TP&W then Pioneer Rail Corp purchased it after a lengthy court battle.  Thank god they won or this line  would be abandoned and scrapped like the old CB&Q/BN line here in town.

When we head over there an Ex-CN locomotive sitting coupled to GP20 #2003 on the KJRY side track off their line at Kolbe caught my eye so I go by it and snap a few photographs. I have no idea how long it's been over there or what their plans for it are but I am curious. We go up the line and I guess TP&W by Bartonville was replacing Railroad ties off the line.  Scott photographed it  but I was driving and paying more attention to the road.  After his doctor appointment we go to Darst Street for a few minutes and we catch a UP train pulling out of the yard and crossing Darst in Peoria.  After that catch one single locomotive Tazwell & Peoria Railroad's switcher SW10 #1352 heading to Bridge Junction off Sanger Street in Peoria.  We cross the bridge down the road to East Peoria to go to Wesley to see anything interesting which I lucked out.  I spot three CN locomotives not yet coupled to any freight cars sitting by the Diesel shop at the yard near Wesley Road. I drive down to the crossing hoping it will move soon but I capture something even better.  I noticed two Iowa Interstate locomotives in the vicinity but they weren't in a good location for photographs. One happened to come down to Wesley Road crossing to switch over to another track and face the direction of the bridge over the river I guess to make a run through Peoria later which a friend got to film.  It was IAIS SD38-2 #151.  What a beautiful sight it was.  This was my first time catching IAIS with their actual locomotives in action.  I have seen a few locomotives before but not in filming locations or were they moving. I am quite proud of this catch and happy as a lark. That one made my day.  I hope to catch more of them in the future.  The IAIS trains I have caught before were two NS power with their crew.  One was in Peoria but didn't come out well due to a crappy camera at the time that decided it wanted to have issues focusing (haha) and one IAIS crew with NS hauling empty grain cars up through Chillicothe earlier this year which I was proud of that catch too but had hoped they would have used IAIS locomotives but whatever it was still a nice catch.  The one yesterday was a complete surprise I didn't even use my scanner because i didn't expect to railfan much due to it being humid.  I'm so glad I went over there now.  I wish I could have stuck around for their evening movement up north but didn't want to make Scott sick with the heat plus wanted to get home in the AC myself.  Yeah our car needs it's AC charged.  Haha.  We'll get around to it after we change the Fuel pump and maybe struts.  <3 :)





























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

Galesburg & Great Eastern Railroad of Knox County, Illinois.