Rochelle-Mendota and places in Illinois....

I decided instead of Galena to go to Mendota then Rochelle instead and my husband
decided to go with me which surprised the hell out of me. I expected alot of complaining
and have to turn back but he didn't. Well he did complain about the heat but so did I so
there was that but other than that enjoyed ourselves. I did expect Rochelle to be more
active than it was but I still managed to walk away having caught some action so my
time was not wasted. I caught both BNSF and some Union Pacific action one of which 
was an Autorack which i love those. I also lurked on the southern part of the city of
Rochelle and seen some Burlington Junction Railway locomotives and caught one BJRY
movement. I barely got them though and got there just in time. I also explored the area
 west of the UP yard at Rochelle around Flagg, Illinois.

In Mendota I took pictures of the displays at the museum and Amtrak station area and
caught Amtrak #4617 pulling to the station. I had hoped to catch something there so lucked
out. We ate breakfast after that and headed up to Rochelle.

Rochelle Pictures & video:







































Mendota, Illinois ( Mendota sub):































Kewanee, Illinois ( Amtrak station and tracks):







Abandoned railroad depot and  once served as their office too. The now extinct
Hooppole, Yorktown andTampico Railroad which lasted almost 50 years.

The depot is in Hooppole, Illinois:








On the way home  driving south on I-39 I started to get sleepy and spaced out so stopped
to stretch my legs at a gas station, grabbed something to drink and explore La Salle and 
Peru a little bit to wake myself up plus i never been in the city limits of either before just
by passed them on Interstates so took the chance to explore some. My husband was a sleep
in the back seat so he didn't care.

La Salle, Illinois:




The bridge was ex Illinois Central now all is Iowa Interstate track in these areas.


In Peru came acrossed an old Railcar I was told was ex- Rock Island. It sure looked
it's age in terrible condition yet still remained so it was a neat find.







IAIS tracks and an old signal in Peru:


Abandoned spur track which was told was ex- CB&Q later IAIS ( I think) at a 
lumber company in Peru:





On the way home took Route 24 at El Paso to head home hoping to catch TP&W but
no such luck but I did see the Switcher ( ex-UP) at Cruger, Illinois:




Ex- Illinois Terminal bridge at East Peoria, Illinois:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

BNSF local chase (Peoria -Galesburg)