Clean up and potential closure

Where do I start with this since it is two different topics one includes the Canton Opera House clean up and the other could be  a future JC Penny closure.  I will add it hasn't been announced yet if Canton's JC Penny will be one of the locations getting closed down.  If it does  it isn't something Canton needs right now considering there isn't a whole lot here.  The local Kmart closed last year but to be fair they refused to lower prices so it wasn't exactly a shock especially since we have a Walmart which offers alot better deals on just about anything.  In the economy today and finances people are looking  for what will save them the  most money.  I'm guilty  of this as well since I live on a  limited budget.  JC Penny has been in this town for as long as I remember and probably  before I was born. Personally I haven't been in there since 1997 but  it doesn't mean others don't shop there or enjoy going there like some probably did shop at Kmart before they went under. If JC did it would leave another empty building waiting for something else to come along and set up shop.  The Kmart building is vacant so far and they have been out of business about a year. 

Anyways the point I am trying to make is Canton cannot really afford to lose more business as we're pretty limited on options compared to Pekin, Peoria, Galesburg and other communities that enjoy a good variety of department store chains, resturaunts and other things we lack.  At this point it is just a fear since nothing has been announce but it could become reality so it's kind of better to be prepared for another blow than live in denial.  It would also take a few jobs with it so somebody will get hurt in it if it did close.  It's too soon to really be jumping the gun so I'll wait until they actually announce something before I really go into it.   We only have Walmart and JC Penny as department store choices unless you consider Dollar General and Dollar Tree as well so it's not like we have that great of options.  Also alot of people in this town are on the poverty line so it's not like  many can just jump in their cars and drive to Peoria every time they need to do some shopping. We  need better options and more of them.

The second thing I want to address which is no relation is the slow clean up of the Opera house after an explosion hit the area back in November 2016 which sadly killed one person.   Down town has seen some progress on some buildings with repairs while some are still boarded up.  Behind the Opera house lies a pile of debri scattered all over that has been sitting since November when it happened.  They cleaned a little up but a good lot of it remains.  My question really is how long are they going to leave it like this?  If memory served Canton left the International Harvestor wreckage and debri lying around for  a good  five years or more then Cook came along and started building there so it was eventually cleaned up but it sat for the longest time as an eye sore. Is the Opera house heading for the same fate or will they get around to cleaning it up?  I'm just curious mainly.  I also hope  someone saves that building since it was so old and had quite the history of surviving so much.  I'm not sure on the hold up for clean ups maybe the investigation  is still ongoing since it was ground zero or waiting on permits  I do not have the faintest idea.  It just seems like there hasn't been too much progress  behind it since the explosion occurred.  I can't imagine them just leaving it lay around like the IH Plant ruins since it is down town.   I might just be impatient wishing they would clean it up but it looks like an eye sore.  I give them credit they do have it fenced it to keep kids and locals out.  The picture i posted is  a month or so old but I drove by there a few days ago and all the debri is still there and it doesn't look like much has been done which is why i brought it up.   I hope they eventually do clean it up and I also hope that Opera house can be saved as if Canton needs another  empty space in the down town region.  It will be a shame too since the building was so old and had a history so keeping my fingers crossed they save it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

Buckheart mine of Dunfermline