May take a Fort Maddy trip next month....

As some people know I go rail fanning for enjoyment to get away from stress and the next one will be no different.  My friend in Canton who also is a rail fanner might be interested in going so may take him along.  The more the merrier company is always nice since  I know no one in my family wants to go due to lack of interest plus it would involve going outdoors so we know   they can't have that.  Okay Jan keep sarcasm to self.  In my area you don't see a whole lot of rail fanners so mingling with them I haven't had much opprotunity  plus I make such bad first impressions it's not funny what with the tracheostomey and social anxiety issues.   Once i'm comfortable enough around people it eases so maybe over time can get more  active and social plus on top of it it's more easier to relax with people who share the same interests.

Anyways I thought  next month providing if we get the break pads replaced on the car and it doesn't financially sting too much I wanted another Fort Madison trip to expand out a little than the same rail lines and areas over and over again.   I thought about  hitting La Harpe first and seeing what angles I could get of the Keokuk Junction Railway Diesel shop.  If I go on a day they head west from Kolbe might follow them out that was and see what they do in person.  I would take my scanner  which is programmed with their frequencies.  After that might go up to Lomax to see if  we or I ( depends on if he goes if not probably by myself as dont know anyone else that would be interested).   Then afterwards would head to Dallas City where I hope to catch something there plus visit that river side small park I like.   After that someone said Niota had a depot somewhere from the Old AT&SF might poke around for before crossing the bridge over Fort Madison, Iowa. Fort Madison has an old AT&SF steam locomotive on display as well as a Caboose near the old depot and museum.  If the Museum is open may check that out.  After that probably go lurk around the Amtrak station again both areas are good for catching rail activity.  I imagine if there is enough time go down to Keokuk and spend a little more time following the line and yard.  Maybe this time i can catch a KJRY switcher without it being blocked by other locomotives ( BNSF looking your direction haha).   I think it was a KJRY switcher it was blue and not far was their building.

I would love to investigate other areas too but not sure how much time will have left like  going down to Warsaw or checking out old ROW's and old depot at Carthage.  It depends on how early we or I go. I would prefer leaving around 8 or 9 am so I can have  the entire day but I'm flexible on schedule and will work with what I have.  This trip depends on if we get the break pads changed and if my brother n law doesn't procrastinate on it.  They have a tendency to procrastinate and put things off so getting things done can be like pulling teeth when you want them done.  Taking it to a shop to have it done would be far too expensive so kind of have to bite my lip and be patient I guess.

Always can use ideas where to go if I don't know of any locations.  I'm hoping this will be this coming next month.  I hope the temperatures rebound  and  the weather is nice.  This is what I have planned.  I also plan on another springfield trip one of these days and to go to Kincaid and see if I&M has much activity there.  Both of these locations are within 100 miles so the distance isn't too far.  I went to Fort Madison last October so did a little bit of rail fanning there and got lucky with multiple trains.  I probably seen 6 or 7.  One BNSF train had a back hoe  dropping tis along the ROW which i never seen before so I gawked not knowing at the time what in the world was happening other than it involved ties.  For the first time seeing it you're asking yourself if that was safe and if it's normal.  That was a noob moment.  Anyways I want to explore a little more this next time and get to know areas better since the last time I went out that way prior to last year was probably 2010 before i got really sick.

I like making plans ahead of time.  I also like to scope out google earth and plan  routes. At one time we used state maps to plot out routes now it's online off google earth.  Oh how times have changed!




Comments

  1. While in the area, Burlington, Iowa is also worth a trip. On weekdays, you might catch the Burlington Junction Railway, which operates a rare Alco C-415! BNSF action should keep things busy, plus Amtrak's California Zephyr makes its daily appearance in both directions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do Burlington sometime and could that day. I would like to get up to nearby Keithsburg to photograph the old M&STL bridge before someone gets the idea to tear it down someday. I hope not. I think you said or someone said the old locomotive display at Keithsburg was removed after flooding I forget when. Anyways i havent been to Burlington since my dad was still alive so it's been a good decade so I don't remember what all they have there. I remember train tracks but do not remember if they have a yard. I think Muscatine and Clinton Iowa further up does if memory serves. I'm guessing they have amtrak station some where there I think i remember a sign to one. Do they got any museums or a depot to visit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BNSF maintains a riverfront yard in Burlington, and the CB&Q station is used by Amtrak.

      Delete
  4. I scoped it out on Google Earth looks like BJR tracks run from the yard north so I guess watch this line for the Alco. It looks like a locomotive display at the CB&Q station which will visit. It doesn't appear difficult to see the yard so shots might be easy since Amtrak is right there nearby. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

Buckheart mine of Dunfermline