Galesburg Railroad days.

I went to the Galesburg Railroad days on Saturday, June 23, 2018 and was
thankfully accompanied by a friend so not to feel so alone or deal with anxiety.
I guess i did okay other than an instance or two. The day had several firsts for
me. I  have never been inside a diesel locomotive, never been to Galesburg during
their Railroad days event, never been to a train show or have I seen a NS Illinois
Terminal heritage locomotive. It was a good day for most of it until i got home. 
Haha.  Atleast  acquired a happy memory so it was a good day I'd say anything
after i got home was ignored and laughed off in my mind. 

I will say this met some other railfans at the train show and they seem nice.  I
guess someone there whose's well known has watched some of my youtube videos
which is an honor.  The locomotive tour was nice too and it felt so weird being in
the cap looking down for a change instead of looking up track side. It's not a bad
weird feeling. I know I'd never be cut out for that line of work even if i was healthy
due to being very short. The  4 steps I did have to climb in the locomtive into the cab
then out were steep and I'm short so that was a bizarre feeling. It wasn't a negative 
feeling but i do realize limitations.  My anxiety levels leveled out after a while so dealt
with any crowds better than I thought i would. I did have one outburst when some guy
in a blue shirt seen I was trying to photograph and took a step and stood in from of my
camera. I  said something and shot off my mouth briefly then walked to a different 
location. Rude. If it wasn't for his action I would have never said a word but I could
have handled that better so it is what it is.  I don't care if people are in shots but don't
deliberatley stand in front of my lens. Rude. A few of them seemed kind of mentally out 
there so you never know could have had a issue. I was brief with my exchange of words
thankfully. I could have handled that better. Oh well. I'm sorry i said something but I
also can't take that back it was said so it is what it is. 

After the locomotive ( BNSF #1425 SD60M) I went to the train show with the friend
which was held at the Galesburg High school. I think I handled that better than the
locomotive and there was more of a crowd there. I think having someone with me 
helped otherwise I'd be too shy to ever linger around long. My breathing problems
reared it's ugly head. No major coughing fits or mucus coming out so it ended better
than i thought. I had to pace myself due to breathing issues, hot flashes, minor back
pain and at one point felt like throwing up and went to a bathroom. Thankfully didn't.
I felt like a burden slowing my friend down. This is a reason I solo alot and keep to self
so not to be a burden with my health issues. At the end of the day feet were killing me too.
It's a good thing though increased exercise so no regrets. Other than that I enjoyed it. If
I do another one of these train shows my interest will be the books and some model trains.
The ones they had there were either huge models or very tiny none of the regular sized ones
I'm accustomed to seeing in the past so it was weird but a good weird. I met a few railfans
I've seen posted in the Peoria railroad groups so that was nice. I didn't spaz out so that went
okay. The last people  almost got sick at their table so that was awkward but didn't. I tried
to hide my face by keeping head down.  I still need work on my peopling skills but atleast
I didn't lose my patience at the train show with anyone then again no one bothered me on
purpose like that guy at the locomotive walking in front of my camera.  Haha. I didn't
think to take pictures of the train show didn't want to look weirder than I already did.
I stand out as is in a crowd.

After the train show went to the bridge over the Galesburg yard and a bunch of us  
caught the NS Illinois Terminal #1072 Heritage enter the yard so that was pretty cool.
I didn't expect a heritage. Funny how cool things can crop up sometimes. If my friend
didn't tell me about it might have left not knowing anything about it. After the bridge  
went out on my own caught a few trains one being on the Barstow sub at Henderson,
Illinois. I headed back a little after four since I was getting tired and sore.  All and all
it was the best day I had in a very long time and enjoyed myself. The few times I don't
mind being sore all over.   Now i'll include photographs and videos I  manage to take.


The NS Illinois Terminal #1072 heritage, Galesburg yard:















BNSF #1425 (SD60M) locomotive display to tour at Amtrak Station:
























Amtrak train at the station:











BNSF train caught while at the Amtrak platform:





Galesburg BNSF yard:


















A BNSF catch off Henderson Street in Galesburg:








Tail end of train that would go up on the Barstow sub I think:







Random shots:




Henderson, Illinois and a railfanning Dove on the tracks there...







My Youtube videos.....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

BNSF local chase (Peoria -Galesburg)