Prex #1611 getting towed back....(again)

I'm relieved to see the KJRY train this morning more than I would
any other time I look for them because it restores my sanity some.
Yes, a train restores sanity sad but true. When I say this I mean I 
was told yesterday by my brother n law Scott that he thought he had
heard a train and I was like what Train?  I didn't hear any train and
Canton is small enough you could hear it from downtown so it became
a puzzler trying to think  back if I heard anything in case i zoned out
when running errands. I guess not.  I don't think i'm that insane I 
wouldn't hear a train.  It's not like the F units aren't loud and that
GP20 #2003 has a unique sounding horn so unless you were  out by
Walmart or way across town somewhere or even a mile out or more 
then you would hear something even if faint. I have to wonder if he
was trolling me or thought he heard it and made a mistake.  We also
have Duck Creek Power plant just south of town by three miles I can
sometimes hear faint horn from a BNSF Coal train if you're paying
attention to details or if the wind carries it just right. He could have
heard that.  He doesn't pay attention to the sounds of the horns to 
identify what railroad it belongs too. I'm enough of a nerd too however.

I guess KJRY departed the Mapleton area around 8 am for the westbound.
It's line up was Prex #1752-1761-1750-1611-2003 so the F's and  two Gp20's.
Prex #1611 crapped out again so it's being towed to La Harpe.  They have the
worst luck with that one maybe third times a charm and they'll fix her.  I
really should knock on wood so i'll knock on my hard skull.  I photographed
it not far from a curve on the east end of town not far from my apartment
to mix it up location wise plus to catch the F's going around that which like
I think I stated was around 9:20 am.  I head to the west end of town off 
Maple street and film in that location around 9:30 am.  I didn't have gas to
really be picky there. I also wanted something  not as blinded by the sun.
I'm happy.  Yes I said it happy.  Again knock on wood ( my head) for that
feeling to last.  :)

Photo's and will post video when uploads: Canton, Il 12-19-17




















In the future want to do more digging on the Camp Ellis Camp around Ipava
which held army training and such there in the 1940's up until maybe the 1950's.
There was a CB&Q spur that went to this coming off the main line south of Table
Grove heading east and up to it which was north of Ipava and southwest of
Bernadotte.  It had a small yard there I know not sure how many tracks and they
had water storeage for the steam locomotives. I want to explore that area in winter
when the right of way isn't as difficult to make out by brush and leafs.  I wonder if
the bed still exists. I've only explored a few areas around it not alot and wasn't even
looking for any traces of a railroad. There is a museum for it at Ipava I am told by
a friend so will need to check into that too.  By old maps it looked like tracks may 
have still been in place as late as 1962 for whatever reason and  was gone from the
maps by 1966 so track removal was gone prior to the mid  1960's probably. I will
probably do a blog on it in the future as it certainly deserves one.

Camp Ellis area Oct 2016:















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

BNSF local chase (Peoria -Galesburg)