Are Ghosts real or just hallucinations?

Okay Okay I have nothing to blog about so reaching in the bottom of the barrell for this one. The Journal Star of Peoria and it's writer posted a story about someone running around someone's property looking for ghosts when in reality it's just some idiot harrassing someone probably. I'm more of a skeptic so whatever I type is just an opinion and just that.  I hope I am wrong though.


If I ever see or feel anything I'll be the first one to eat my own words and eat alot of crow.  Crow pie does sound kind of good. Oh wait this isn't Game of Thrones with their Crows and finger pies (don't ask, it's better if you don't...barf). All silliness aside I  want to have an open mind about ghosts but I also know if the afterlife was really a thing wouldn't my Dad and Grandparents visit me atleast once.  Surely my Grandmother wants to slap me upside the head for the crap that comes out of my big mouth maybe Dad too but he kind of had a mouth on him himself so doubtful.  I did survive things that should have killed me in 2011 and rightfully should be in the grave yet somehow pulled through so the idea of the afterlife and people watching over you is conflicting yet an entertaining idea for me. I really do wish something was real and I can speak to some of the dead I miss so very much other than rambling to their graves at the cemetery like a crazy woman.  Again if you don't know me you wouldn't get my weirdness, sarcasm, or dark sense of humor so if this offends I failed at being funny evidently so my bad.  I can make light of death because i've nearly been there myself so it's sort of one of those things I ponder about or make light of something to help me mentally cope with things.  Enough about explaining the type of person I am we get it i'm nuts.

I have read several ghost books by Troy Taylor I think was his name of Ghost Stories of Illinois when I was younger and more open minded to stuff like this.  Time and life sort of made me skeptical hence why I scoff at some of the ideas.  Some of the stories was entertaining. I enjoyed the one about Decatur in the 1830's, Alton stories, Bachelor's Grove near Chicago, Resurrection Mary and even some stories more local in Canton, Lewistown and the Spoon River.  The Canton one is something about a gate falling  on a kid at Greenwood Cemetery in the 1890's I think.  I could be wrong on the year but I guess there is a story of a haunting with that.  I forget the whole details.  Then there is one about someone a female I think that got hit by a train around Lewistown and train engineers reported seeing ghosts on the track or something.  Then in the 1850's or somewhere around there is a story of some people took a Steam Paddle boat (???) up the Spoon River and it never came back.  I guess some people reported seeing the ghostly ship and hearing it but I don't know.  No one has seen or heard anything since so it may be one of those stories that got passed around to scare kids or told for fun but you never know.  Even the Peoria State Hospital at Bartonville was rumored to be haunted .  Many people died over it's history and mental health treatment was in it's infancy when the place opened so I imagine there being quite a few stories of horror there such as electric shock therapy, labotomies and maybe weird treatments  we know today wouldn't do nothing but aggrivate the problem more and there is even people who weren't insane admitted there like a guy who had abnormally huge hands but otherwise was sound of mind. This hospital is being torn down as we speak and may already be down.  It's been a while since i checked into it.  The old cemetery will remain as a reminder of things and people of the past and even some old buildings that are used for other things nearby will remain.  The ones on other streets and near the cemetery.

I will state this I have been by that hospital so many times I didn't hear or see one single thing which is why I'm very skeptical of the reports.  Other people who claimed this illegally trespassed and went there to drink or smoke weed so I kind of take those reports with a grain of salt because they creep themselves out in their drunken stupor or whatever.  The more sober people that hear things may not understand that old buildings will creek and make noise from time to time.  Also ones who no longer have windows with glass protecting the inside from the outside enviroment will have cold drafts.  This is kind of common knowledge for many. It doesn't mean there is ghosts it just means the structure is aging and you're feeling the air move through the joint. The building in question is known for decaying walls and floors so if something creeks it's no surprise being the condition it was in. There is a logical explanation for some of this.  The video footage of these supposed ghosts can be altered with technology today and pictures can and do get photoshopped so anyones I do happen to see I'm sort of skeptical on how legit they really are.  Don't get me wrong I want to believe there is something but  until the day I actually feel or see something my mind will sort of keep a yeah right state of mind.  I can entertain myself all day on this subject if I wanted to devote to it but the most likely scenerio is when people die that's it you just rot in the ground until you are bones or just dust.  My father was cremated so the chances of him coming back to haunt as a human form itself is unlikely.  I hate to use my Dad as an example and no disrespect for him or the dead but it's hard for me to believe in something I have yet to see and by the way I want a visit from my Dad because there is unfinished business and things I wish I could have said like I'm sorry for being a brat.  I can take comfort in knowing I did say I loved him before he died at one point and got his permission to marry before he passed away so take that as some comfort though I still feel extremley guilty for many things and living in denial thinking he can overcome cancer. I pretty much at first had the state of mind this can't be happening and he'll beat it so there is guilt from that then being angry.  I went through  denial, anger, depression finally crying weeks later and shock. If he was in spirit form you would think after nearly ten years I would have seen something and his mother who I was the closest too out of any of my gradparents died in 1993 and been gone way longer and I have not seen anything or heard anything unnatural.

The idea of ghosts and the afterlife intriques me however so I want to remain open minded yet at the same time keep a more skeptical logical mind about me.  I don't know maybe I got dragged to so many funerals as a kid that I became numb to death to the point i turn a blind eye.  I got so used to people coming and going from passing away it sort of just sinks in they're gone and you will never see anything again as long as you remain alive.  I'll admit I have no freaking clue what happens after you do die.  Your guess is as good as mine I just don't know. If i'm wrong there is no shame in admitting it and i'll happily admit it especially if I see a loved relative I miss and thought it was never possible to see again.  If that day ever happened i'd probably be more relieved and happy than scared or creeped out.  Death does not creep me out or scare me like it does others. It's a part of life you have to accept and think about from time to time just like people having babies.  You're born in this world and eventually you will die.  There is no stopping it.  Some people live to a ripe old age and sadly some are cut down way earlier.

There was a Ghost story that appeared on some Ghost show involving my Aunt Janice's death. Apparently according to someone who lived in the supposed killer's house that he haunts it and is a mean spirit.  I didn't know about this until the day it aired or I might have made a fuss about it and try to keep it from airing in respect for my Aunt who I never got to know because some jerk ( I want to call who ever did it worse but I'll leave the profanities for my Facebook page...classy I know). If ghosts were real and this actually happened i would love a meeting with that ghost just to call him names and give him a tounge lashing and tell that ghost i would have loved to got my hands on the person and done the act myself for him possibly killing my eight year old aunt who did absolutley nothing wrong and was just being a kid.  She did not deserve to be beaten in the head with a cement block, raped and left for dead under a  CB&Q train car off Fourth Avenue. This is what happened.  The cab driver that was acussed sure made himself look guilty by fleeing. 
On the other hand I haven't personally seen enough evidence other than what i heard here say by people and reading a few newspaper articles.  If he didn't do it then someone got away with murder and if he did he still got away with murder.  He was on death row until 1971 and was released due to a technicality with evidence.  If they had DNA testing back in the day it could have confirmed he did it or cleared his name so this remains somewhat of a fifty some year mystery.  I do know this I have alot of anger towards who ever did this and would love to have been the one to hand out punishment like my Dad would have loved too. This isn't about what we would have took glee in doing to the killer but the idea the SOB's ( there I said it) ghost remains and it is a mean spirited one.  I find it almost laughable and I seen that part of the show and didn't buy it.  I also don't want to believe anyone so horrible would come back lingering after death either.  I would want to think someone that evil would wind up in hell or something where they get punished for eternity. This is where I really become conflicted on it. I do not know but if it was real I'd probably try to visit just to call the ghost an SOB who deserved the death penalty and then some but it is what it is and it's not one hundred percent sure he did it so I'm going by emotion and anger for the act itself of a girl who should have lived a long life, had kids and known future generations.  If I come off as angry towards murderer's there is a good reason behind it and the details I was told by my father of the scene made me angier.  Unless you have had to deal with a relative who was murdered or family that has been dealt with it then I highly doubt you would understand.  I do believe in an eye for an eye and i'm not too religious and even kind of leary on that issue due to having to try to come to terms with death and how certain cards are dealt.  Again people wouldn't understand.

This topic I cannot make any shorter because there is so much I felt needed to be said especially when it came to my Aunt.  There is no sugar coating or cutting corners around certain things.  It is something I've had to deal with my whole life living under her shadow ( no disrespect) and having been named after her then when you were a kid being asked by so many people about the case when I was a kid and didn't know much.  Dad spared me the gruesome details until i was a teenager and spared me from knowing too much about it as a child.  It did get annoying a few 
being confused with her and asked about something I was in the dark about at the time. I felt like living under her ghost yet never seeing one.  The one instance was a cop came to talk to the school when I was in fourth grade and mentioned the case and her name.  I had the same name so kids turned around and stared then I got asked about it.  I was like I don't know she was my aunt and died from murder that's all I knew at the time but it kind of put me in an awkward position.  It wasn't out of disrespect to her at all I just didn't have answers at the time to tell an accurate story behind it.  I was just told she was murdered by a cab driver and raped.  He didn't tell me the more gruesome details until I was maybe around twelve or thirteen. I however felt anger even before the details towards who ever did it.  It had a major impact on the family.   I only mention this because it's a part of death and an unatural one that should have never happened at that.  You cannot have life without the death process so it's important to mention that and remind people of the obvious.  Some people are afraid of it and some like myself just accept it as the unavoidable.
It took years just to come to acceptance of my Dad's death and lord knows how I'll react once my mom dies someday of old age.  Maybe I'll accept it better if she dies very old and not cut down in her sixties and cut off early.  Also by that time don''t expect much unfinished business because i will tell her how I feel and not leave anything left unsaid.  I learned that lesson ten years ago.  Life is too short to beat around the bush.

I will state again how much I wish there was an afterlife and ghosts because no matter how much I want to believe there is also doubt in the back of my mind that is very hard to shake.  I am curious about the topic but also scoff at some of it because i can't comprehend in my mind of certain things happening so in a sense could be in denial or I could be right.  I probably won't know the answers until the day comes I take my final breath.  Reguardless of how I feel the dead should be respected and remembered for the people they once were.  They had lives, families and memories that no one can take away from surviving relatives and also a period of time where the deceased themselves remembered relatives who passed on and had lots of memories themselves.  Unless you're a sex offender, child molester or a cold blooded murderer then you  deserve to be remembered.  

Included are pictures of a rumored haunted place ( never experienced anything weird mysel so skeptical) of the Peoria State Hospital in Bartonville, Illinois when it still stood:

**Correction:  Peoria State Hospital has been torn down so it's gone.  Remember her as  she was and how I knew her I guess same goes to anyone else who knows about the place which if you haven't been living under a rock you would have. **















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

Buckheart mine of Dunfermline