Kindness in small communities and a what the hell moment...

I'm writing this a tad late because i was exhausted and pretty much crashed around  eight last night getting up here and there.  Yesterday provided some faith in humanity  being restored and what the hell moment.  The what the hell moment was seeing black smoke but not having much clue what or where it was coming from other than a brief mention on scanner so it left many people wondering as there were other people  out by Pekin driving around stopping looking at it and i talked to two people. Other than possible location I really don't know what was burning  it died down minutes later so evidently it got put out fast but looked wicked for a bit.  The Scanner mentioned black smoke being seen around Mapleton around the Cat area so it may have been somewhere around there but that is all that i heard about it.  I figured maybe something was burning in the Spring Lake vicinity I didn't think about it being across the Illinois River over in Peoria County.  So that was kind of a what the hell moment.  I think 5 or 6 other vehicles were out on the back roads trying to find it like me.  Yeah some of us are curious creatures, rubber neckers and Looky Loo's.  It looked intense and like something serious was burning which is why investigated.  Whatever it was it didn't last long.

Around Powerton yard while in Pekin after paying bills I seen two IMRR locomotives with some cars just sitting there.  There were no lights on or signs of life so it was apparent it might be sitting there a while.  Other than that and the UP Coal train sitting next to it which looked loaded but could be wrong as I didnt get that great of a look or lingered long this was all I seen today in the way of railroad activity.  The heat pretty much started making me sick at times so just wanted to go home and started heading back.  The joys of having a vehicle with no working AC.  Eh, I'm used to it the buick also didn't have AC.  I haven't had a vehicle with  working AC in probably a decade so whatever.  Just cut your losses and go home to the AC.  I'm actually not sure what's wrong with ours think something needs replaced or charged.  I haven't a clue.  Speaking of car issues on the way back i blew a tire at Kolbe near Mapleton across the road from the KJRY place across the tracks in front of someones home.  I got out to evaluate  it and then look for someone to use their phone. A guy mowing the lawn across the street came over and told me to back the car up and pull into the drive and we'd see what can be done.  I did so we did the donut out of the truck.  He and two men there helped me with jacking the car up and replacing the bad tired with the donut.  The donut they had to air up.  They were so nice about it, joked around and were friendly I had almost forgotten there were kind people in the world.  It was almost shocking. I couldn't thank them enough.  One of the guys was named Earl.  Nice folk.  People in Canton wouldn't do this.  Canton folks ignore people in need of help.  Way to go Mapleton for having some decent folk still left. I had a tire go out last fall over in Hamilton Illinois and two guys there helped me swap to the donut so there are good people out there.  My town itself however the people here aren't so nice and no one trusts each other here so sort of just lost my faith in humanity over time.  I'm sure there is a few nice people left somewhere in Canton you sure the hell couldn't tell it though.  Enough about Canton focus on the positive and that there is actual decency left.

I actually didn't expect them to help as much as they did  was just going to ask to use a phone. They went well and above what i was expecting.  I offered to pay them something all i had on me was $15 so i know it wouldn't have been much but still and they declined.  They showed me there is still decent, kind people in the world. This is a world where most people ignore you mainly because they don't know you or trust you and with nut cases out there you can't really blame them but still it's frustrating when something like this happens or a breakdown.  If you ever been there you know.  It isn't often i'm touched by anything because of the way the world is these days and  I'll admit i've just grown cynical and skeptical of the world and humanity but this touched me and  I am very greatful for any act of kindness even if it's just to use a phone.  I knew i should have kept the phone with me i had that feeling but got tired of dealing with various people calling when i was trying to take care of stuff so dropped the thing at home.  I suppose i could have shut it off but i had to deliver a message to Scott from his cousin so dropped the phone off.  Oh well.  No idea the cause of blown tire i havent hit pot holes latley but when i was about to turn off towards pekin something blew from a semi tire and i  hit it so that may have been why.  I'm just guessing i'm not sure. I am very much thankful for those three men in Mapleton they were a god send otherwise would have been some long hours waiting in the sun for help to show up.  It's things like that once in a while that reminds me of humanity and slaps my skeptism back into place.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

Buckheart mine of Dunfermline