The joke Canton is and has been for many decades...

This has just been one of those days where I have had the uncontrollable urge to snark on the community I live in for the decisions it has made for decades and the people who keep this town and area from expanding to economic growth.  According to these yokels Department and grocery stores as well as fast food joints is considered growth as well as gives people things to do if they have the money to do these things.  This town is saved a Dunkin Donuts was built praise the town gods.  For me it's just another eye roll and one of many in the past decade. This town needs better paying jobs and more variety than the crap we already have.  It isn't just a more jobs thing either it's about places to go and do as well as putting the town on the map for places people might like to go.  Right now everything we have so does Peoria, Pekin and other communities.  Yes people around here benefit from them instead of wasting gas driving to another county but it also  something that hardly makes us stand out.

I look around my town and just see nope, nope and more nope.  There is not one place i care enough to go dump in  alot of money too.  Okay to be fair have to shop at the stores for food and get supplies at Walmart but that's about it.  I could careless about the fast food joints and I sure in the hell don't care about this new Baskin Robbins and Dunkin Donuts. My waistline thanks me for avoiding such places probably and even if I did want to eat out  none of these places I have any desire too.  We have multiple burger and pizza joints which is old.  If I wanted a case of the green apple splatters and to spend time on the toilet i'd go to Taco Bell.  Blah blah you get the point i'm making I don't care about fast food joints and i'm sure i am not alone in that feeling. This town is boring beyond it really. All we have is the  dumps i listed, a bunch of churches and taverns. I guess to each their own but i feel there needs to be more here.
Add some museums, a zoo maybe, any historical points in this town mark with signs, tours or anything.  This town other than on the Spoon River Drive ignores it's history for the most part.
I don't know add more to do here instead of making us drive out of town for places to visit.  Just  add something my god some of us aren't interested in eating or getting three sheets to the wind. We also want to meet more types of people that might have common interests.  I think they still have plans to add a movie theater so there is  something in the future I guess.

Right now there's only a few places i will waste time visiting and all of them are free.  They need more things to do for people who live on limited budgets also.  Maybe I'm just picky and just snarking on this town for the sake of it or maybe i'm right.  Feeding the geese and putting gas in my tank to leave this town is about all i spend money on for entertainment purposes nothing else is really worth it.  I guess i'm restless and bored but if you enjoy Canton and thinks no change needs to be made to improve this town or make it expand then I have to question your sanity.  How can people feel pride for a town that wants to drag it's feet into progress or remain a one horse town? Oh well just passing thoughts....

By the way Canton residents at the moment the only appealing thing to this town is the swans and geese or the railroad that runs a train  once or twice a week.  Then again i have different tastes than everyone else and don't follow what everyone else is doing whatever they're doing.  LOL. 











I wish they would have turned the CB&Q depot in Canton into a Railroad museum or a museum for the city but  instead they hold meetings there for the city to decide what not to do for this town.   I have always felt it should have been a museum and at one point there was talks.  Lewistown has two museums a Blacksmith one and Fulton County Narrow Gauge yet Canton cannot muster one.  Why is that?  Are people afraid to expand any knowledge?  Do they not want to think? Do they not want to know about history of any kind? I know the politicians here do not care and have never really.  The Spoon River Drive is more about vendors and selling  various garbage than about local history anymore. Then again alot of people could careless about history.  The depot does have a Whitcomb Locomotive built in the 1930's and donated to the city that was used at a coal mine here they could have promoted with a museum of some sort but oh no it's just there for looks nothing about history on it...................
                                                                                       

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

BNSF local chase (Peoria -Galesburg)