Before and after...and a Canton rant!

Probably doesn't need to be a blog post about this considering
I've ranted about the line before but I don't  remember if I 
posted before and after on the line when BNSF stored cars on
a section of this line between Canton and Dunfermline.  I am
speaking ofcourse about the BNSF Yates City Sub or what used
to be it.  From the Duck Creek Power Plant down where the sub
runs into a mainline it is still active.  North of the line it is no longer
in use most of which from Canton to Farmington was torn out last
year.  It was a sad blow to the town historical wise but not a shock
since there has been talks of the line being torn out someday even
back in the late 1990's here say from my Dad and other's around
town. Eventually it was doomed like many things in Canton as well
as hopes and dreams. It's hardly the worst thing to happen to the town
but it doesn't help we are dead industrial wise. If there is no industry
there is no need for the line as much as I hate to say that.  I still didn't
want to see them ripped out and had hopes for it someday like I had
hopes for the ex- M&STL/ C&NW in Farmington.  That turned out well
and didn't crush my soul at all.  That my friends is sarcasm.  I am pro
railroad so I sort of want a come back to old lines.  Don't get me started
on the Rails to trail shit or what I think of people who are into that as
if these fuckers don't have plenty of other places to walk especially in
the Canton area.

I remember a BN train as a little girl maybe 1982 or 1983 and Dad drove
along side it in Canton on a road  around the old Depot.  All I remember
was the engineer waved and the locomotive was green.  I can't say if that
was the defining moment for my love of trains other than I was around two
when it started but Dad also worked at a Coal mine and family took me to 
visit him on a break once so could have seen a train there. I don't know but
the point is I have very few memories of moving trains on the Yates City Sub
in Canton or down to Dunfermline. I do know on and off in the 1990's all the
way til 2015 maybe up to 2017 on the very south end towards Dunfermline
they used track for storeage. I took some pictures of a line of cars back in 
2015 on the line between Dunfermline and Hitchcock Scrapyard which is
between Canton and Dunfermline off Route 78. I think when they removed
the rails from Canton in eatly 2017 BNSF pulled some cars off the line they
stored and there hasn't been any down there since.  A friend if i recall posted
someone's video of them hauling them away and it had a CSX locomotive on it.
Rare you see foreign power on the  section that is active.  I've only seen a KCS
locomotive with the usual BNSF stuff once.  In 1993 I remember a few Coal
trains coming off the TP&W line  enroute south on this line. I just remember
seeing moving hoppers heading south don't recall the locomotives.  I did chase
a locomotive south of town on my bike in 1994 which would end up being the
last of anything moving on the line I would personally see.  I was in school so
I missed alot of action.  Okay maybe not alot of action but a little bit. Oh well.

Up in Farmington in the early 2000'2 ( 2001-2003 don't remember year) there
were Autorack cars sitting south of Farmington and north of Norris for the 
longest time. Again I have never seen anything moving up there like I have
never seen activity on the ex M&STL-CNW.  UP abandoned the ex- CNW 
in 2008 and torn it out in 2010 which I did manage to take pictures of and in
2017 the BNSF tracks were torn out also have plenty of pictures of. That I 
made damned sure of. The city of Canton and it's brainless politicians and
their supporters couldn't care less about Railroads or the line so they were all
probably happy.  Oh let's put a trail in or just leave it for nature to claim we
don't need expansion, growth or rail activity in this town.  We're perfectly happy
being a backwards hillbilly shithole that is only known for a notorious fire and
a tornado forty years ago never mind other historical places in this town.  I
sometimes wonder if that's how conversations go down at some of these city
meetings in the past. People need jobs in this town good paying  manufacturing
jobs not these low paying retail or fast food jobs.  This town isn't the least bit
interested in putting this town on the map or making it grow but taxing anything
that wants to come here into the ground. Hopefully this new Mayor pans out and
does something that previous mayor didn't and  actually do something for the
community. We'll see but you see why I am so cynical?

2015 cars stored on rails north of Dunfermline:





Nov 2017: ( Between south of Canton and  north of Dunfermline):







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

Buckheart mine of Dunfermline