Coal mines around Norris
I have had interest in local coal mines ever since starting genealogy around 1999 and 2000. Well that's when it started because I would often read about little mines or see names of relatives that worked here and there at mines not including my Dad or great Uncle (by marriage who was a coal miner). I have seen listed a mine that has intrigued me but have yet to find much about it other than it was a brief mine in the mid to late 1930's by the name Billings & May. I have found the Billing's name of Arthur Billings but have no luck with the May. Since I have linked every May in this county and is buried here but two as all related it was no doubt a relative of some sort but whom I have yet to find. Anyways that mine was down by Saint David and not the mine I'm going to discuss. A small town north of Canton off route 78 sits a small town of Norris which is situated on the former CB&Q/BN/BNSF railroad tracks which are now long gone since 2017 ...


A few comments...
ReplyDelete(1) The TP&W train was a transfer run from TZPR to the TP&W's own East Peoria Yard. Looks like tank cars carrying nitrogen fertilizer solution. An empty covered hopper is heading back to Incobrasa Industries at Gilman.
(2) The CN local carries symbol L56491 (L = Local, 564 = number assigned to this train, 9 = Division and 1 = First Section). Eight anhydrous ammonia tank cars on the rear. BNSF power is most likely heading to Grove to pick up a feed train which had come off the CN earlier.
(3) Norfolk Southern Train 403...coal empties heading back to the Shay Mine near Carlinville, Illinois. Train had earlier run on the Iowa Interstate from Cedar Rapids to Peoria as CRPE.
Thank you. The NS I knew from what you said a while back about it going to some mine down south with empties. The other had no idea what they were carrying or where they were off too.
ReplyDeleteWhere is the grove by the way? IN Pekin by the big cemetery? or further down the line?
ReplyDeleteGrove is the location of a crossover midpoint between Wesley and Pekin. It also used to be the point at which the Gulf Mobile & Ohio trains entered and left with P&PU. It is located just south of the park in North Pekin by River Drive, but out of public view, unfortunately.
ReplyDelete"...left with P&PU." = "...left P&PU."
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOk thanks. I asked because I seen grain cars down past the cemetery unless CN picked them up and they were the cars I seen.
ReplyDelete