Galesburg: My favorite Railroad town!

I've been well familiar with the railroad city of Galesburg as long as I can remember atleast when I was old enough to beg my mom to drive before becoming of age to drive myself.  I have so many memories of this city going back to the 1990's.  Every now and then I go up here to railfan and check out the yard and recently started taking more of an interest in Amtrak and started railfanning them.  Prior it wasn't the lack of interest more than I had no idea what about time they came until i seen a website and book marked it for further use.  Before that  it was all by luck.  This city has always been a delightful little hub where if i lurk around long enough or in this case a few minutes something pulls by.  If i could afford to move and had the choice of any city in this state to live in i would choose Galesburg.  My town the only good thing about this town is it's quiet,
KJRY and their famous F units that come by  once or twice a week and the entertaining geese at Lakeland whom weirdly I call them friends ( they have so much more better qualities than people..except that jerk bird yesterday.  Okay I'll shut up about my anti social sarcasm even if it is true). Galesburg has  a few grocery stores to choose from, many fast food joints if you get a hair up your butt and don't want to cook ( us sometimes), many gas stations and several parks plus the railroad activity is booming compared to my boring town of Canton.

We used to go to family reunions held at Lake Storey in the 1990's up here and mom would take me for rides as a kid and teenager up here so i could see the trains.  I wish i thought to photograph them. I would always keep my eyes out for some rail activity and have my mom follow it or try to catch up or just wait around until something came by.  This was before i started using  scanners or watched facebook groups for heads ups and before i even got a camera.  I remember the Green Burlington Northern locomotives.  I'm always a sucker for them also fancy old Santa Fe units in their old colors before BNSF started repainting them or acquired them and before the merger.  Now i sort of kick myself in the butt for not taking pictures. Haha.  Oh well.  Nothing can take away my memories unless i go completely brain dead.  I'm halfway there... 😁😁

If people get a chance come up to Galesburg and check it out.  This city is a blast for railfans and every year they hold a railroads day for like a week at the end of every June.  I hope to go briefly this year myself marking my first year if i do get to go.  This depends on how my budget works out as well as anxiety levels are.  I hear it can get crowded.  Here is a link to the 2017 Railroad days
if anyone has interest.  http://www.galesburgrailroaddays.org/events/

I'm also adding a bunch of pictures i have taken myself on Galesburg.  A second blog post will be videos.  This is an excellent town to visit and i highly recommend it.  💓😊







































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

Galesburg & Great Eastern Railroad of Knox County, Illinois.