Springfield,Illinois trip Feb 2017

Back in Febuary took my first trip to Springfield since forever and a day maybe a good six or seven years.  My intention was not  springfield at all it was sort of spontaneous. I went to check out depots in Browning and Virginia, Illinois then the  CB&Q Round house in Beardstown which i did.  Then after Virginia seen Springfield was only within 30 miles or so  figured what the hell.  I had no problems navigating through the town but the Railroad yard for Illinois & Midland is in an area not comfortable being in especially a woman alone but whatever I lived so who cares.

While i was in Springfield seen a Norfolk Southern train with KCS power which was the only moving train i seen that day.  By the time i got to Springfield it was running out of day light  and it would get dark within an hour or so so didn't explore like i could have plus  was trying to conserve gas.  I plan on going there again sometime to not just railfan but visit my grandparent's graves down at Camp Butler National Cemetery.  I also plan on hanging around the Amtrak station as well as head over to Kincaid power plant to see if there is action further east as well as explore Taylorville which has some abandoned right of ways for the B&O Railroad I think was one of them.  I know the right of way and old grade for B&O was seen at Virginia as well as a depot there.  Another railroad also ran to Virginia, Illinois at one time so not sure whoses depot but i'm thinking B&O.  In Browning stopped by at the old CB&Q depot which closed probably in the late 1950's or early 1960's.  The line was abandoned there by 1961 and  tracks pulled around 1962.  The depot has been preserved and had been moved from the original location by what i was told but not sure about that.  In Beardstown there is the Old roundhouse for CB&Q to visit which i guess is used now to rent out for parties and to host events and such.


Springfield I was hoping to see Illinois & Midland in action but yeah right just like the rest of the line to the north they can be hard to find in action.  I did see a locomotive in the yard but no action in the yard itself.  I plan on going back down here and spend more time here so maybe in the future i'll have better luck.




























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

Vermont to Rushville CB&Q/BN branch