On a lighter note...wildlife!






Since I started this blog ( thanks to the encouragement of a friend) I made it mostly about the desires for the city of Canton and Fulton County and local Railroads so this will be slightly different than the usual stuff.  I haven't been too active latley because there really isn't opprotunity  to railfan nor is there much news in town other than Dunkin  Donuts will open soon (Rolls eyes...don't care not exactly a town saver).   Yada Yada Yada  I look out my window today and happen to look down to see two baby bunny rabbits  between our back door and the neighbors. I have no idea how old they are but maybe a week or so since they grow pretty fast. The mother was no where in sight but they also leave their young in the nest or the area of the nest to go feed and not to attract predators and mother rabbits come back only a few times to feed their young during the day or so I read.  So this puts a smile on my face since i love baby animals.  We will make it a point to go out the front door for a while instead of back so not to disturb the babies. I only seen two so no idea if there are more somewhere.  Later  towards evening the babies were  resting near our air conditioner  that i seen from the window so I'm guessing the nest might be on our porch somewhere around it.  I shouldn't be suprised we've been seeing rabbits at night out by  the tree near my window and by the light and fence.  I seen three adults the other night so  for all I know there may be other nests somewhere and another mother with her young some where in this complex section.  They were nibbling on grass and dandelions too so they might be getting to the point they will be weening off their mother and onto solid food soon or within a week or so.

The other wildlife I have been watching is a Sparrow couple who had built a nest in the middle of the tree near my window.  The male built a nest a week or so back which there was drama when a lazy American Robin went and parked his  big butt in their nest and tried to claim it.  Both the male and female sparrow promptly attacked him and chased him off.  I'm not only suprised a Robin tried to jack a nest but that Sparrows would go after him like they did.  I'm also suprised Sparrows picked a tree to build since they usually pick houses, gutters and more hidden places to take up residence.  I couldn't help but laugh when the Robin so smoothly wiggled his butt in their nest and tried to act like nothing happened only to get confronted and chased off.  My husband and I both laughed at him for  jacking the nest.  This seems more up the territory of something Blue Jays would do. I always thought Robin's were one of the more peaceful birds.  Guess not.  I also didn't think the Sparrows would get as belligerent as they did with him since they were smaller birds.  It shows how much I know about Birds.  Haha.  Fun creatures to watch and listen too.  Mean while after that the sparrows have since been going at it on and off.  It's nice to know my yard and tree is such a happening spot for the creation of life.  Hopefully some egg laying will occur in the coming weeks and the chirps of baby birds.  I kind of wished it was a Robin's nest since I like  Robin's but oh  well.  I'm glad the Sparrows stood up for their work.  I just never realized how aggressive they could be.

Other wildlife I have seen since moving to this apartment complex on the edge of town have been a opposum at the dumpster, some fighting raccoons also raccoons, squirrels and even coyotes.  At night you can hear the coyotes  every so often probably hunting in the field next to us or somewhere out there.  Once in a blue moon when Keokuk Junction Railway comes back from Western Illinois later at night and they blow the horn the coyotes will start howling and singing a duet with the sound of the horn which always gets a laugh from us.  I've heard neighbors dogs bark too.   Apparently they love trains as much as I do....bahahaha.  I just don't howl or bark at it.  Nah, the noise annoys them probably or startles.  Fun times when it does happen atleast with the coyotes since it gets them all going .  I haven't seen a Deer out here yet and probably won't but if it happens won't be too shocked.  I figured during the winter they'd be trying to find food in the field but no such luck this winter.  Then again the winter wasn't too bad so they probably didn't have to strain themselves looking for food or wander.  I'll admit watching wildlife and even weather can  put me in a decent mood especially if times are rough which  is the case now.

On a final note all of this animal talk makes me miss my pet Guinea pig who passed away last year.  Binkers was an awesome piggy who loved to explore, play, and cuddle and he will always be missed as well as loved.  I used to cuddle him when sad  and he'd make me feel better.  This is a little memorial for him.  I'll never forget him and it's only fitting to include a picture.  He was quite the World of Warcraft player.   For the Horde!  <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

Galesburg & Great Eastern Railroad of Knox County, Illinois.