Spoon River Drive FCNG museum & a BNSF train

October 8th, 2016 was a good day the sun was shinning and I got the opportunity  to go on the Spoon River Drive a little bit and had a day out with  mom.  One of the first things I did after picking up my mom in Lewistown is stopped by at the Fulton County Narrow Gaugue museum. There I met  a friend from Facebook who was running it or something.  We  talked about the railroad, I looked around and seen their model train display.  I also toured the caboose and felt weird as hell climbing in it considering I'm short as hell.  I might as well  be a dwarf standing next to the caboose. Haha.  Yeah sorry being weird.  I have a weird sense of humor don't mind me. The museum had old lanterns, an oil can, different types of rails ( standard, mine rail and narrow gauge rail) as well as alot of pictures.  After that drove over to Camp Ellis and looked around.  It's a historical site yet no one visits yet people are all too happy to crowd around Bernadotte buying random crap ignoring the historical part of this county.  Yeah, I'm not a vendor type of person when i go on the Spoon River Drive if you readers are to each their own. Again being weird don't mind me. :)


The friend at the Narrow Gauge museum told me about a BNSF coal train parked outside Ipava and told me how to get to a back road to photograph the locomotives which I did.  This train would leave later that evening which i was tipped off by  that friend so went and caught it.  The engineer even  did a shave and the hair cut on the horn in Saint David. The day went pretty good and it was sunny thankfully.  I'll probably revisit next year the museum and probably the blacksmith museum if it's open on the drive which it should be.  There's a coal mine museum in Cuba want to go too but i had mom with me and it would just bore her so didn't go.  It's no big deal.  I'll probably be doing a blog about the Spoon River Drive and it's history one of these days as well as more on some area Mines and debating some about old cemeteries and ghost towns in this county . What can I say I enjoy my Fulton County history despite the fact this area is boring as hell most of the time.  I kid I kid.  It's true though!  :D


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

Galesburg & Great Eastern Railroad of Knox County, Illinois.