Union Pacific catch of March 3rd, 2017





In the past I haven't been to lucky in catching Union Pacific or any train at that matter in South Pekin but on the 3rd of March, 2017 I was in luck.  I made my rounds and went  to South Pekin with no luck so I start heading south towards Green Valley.  In the distance I see a Union Pacific coal train heading north hauling butt so I back track and head into South Pekin catching it there but it had beat me to the punch so I follow it to Pekin after waiting on it to clear at a crossing.  In Pekin it stopped at the old C&IM depot for a  few minutes then started off again. I managed to get a few quick shots before he  took off again.  I have no idea where he was going afterwards other than he would go to Wesley road and the yards up that way.  I also caught another  Union Pacific train that day but south of Bartonville on the other side of the river off Mendenhall road heading north.  It was a good find because I don't see UP as often as other rail lines.  I kow they're around but never over thatway at the right times.  One of these days will go over on a Tuesday when a MPECL UP train departs and heads north in the late afternoon or early evening. 

Besides catching  MPECL I would love to catch something heading  off the old C&NW line that goes down to Barr but I most likely would have to have a lot of luck on my side for that one as well as have a full tank of gas to follow it. :)

Correction on date it was  March 3rd. 

Comments

  1. On a serious note, this is an empty coal train from Decatur. Canadian National brought it up to TZPR's double track along Rt. 29 for interchange to Union Pacific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL wait what i thought I said March? Haha. So where would these cars go after the interchange? So this was CN crew with Up power? Makes sense since this is a CN line the one down the road is UP to Barr. One of these days this stuff will sink in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Union Pacific originates the loaded coal trains in Wyoming and hands them off to CN on TZPR's Pekin double track. Empties return in reverse. ADM's co-generation plant in Decatur is the destination for coal loads.

      Delete
  3. Correction of date it was March 3, 2017.....brain fart plus trying to organize to many things at once. Trying to work on youtube videos, organize albums....ugh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fulton County, Illinois Ghost towns Part 1

Middle Grove- Rapatee Coal mine

Galesburg & Great Eastern Railroad of Knox County, Illinois.